COLLEGE PATHWAYS is a newly formed education, enrichment, and recreation program serving targeted Job Corps (JC) participant with the greatest potential for the collegiate experience and higher education completion. COLLEGE PATHWAYS Program provides an environment conducive for Job Corps participant to enjoy and successfully complete college and enter the workforce with competency and support to be self-sustaining. Established in 2016, COLLEGE PATHWAYS is a partnership including Job Corps, The Tom Joyner Foundation (TJF), participating college/universities and the private sector.
POSITION FOCUS: The Mentor position is a site-based direct student interaction position in the COLLEGE PATHWAYS Program. The mentor is responsible for ensuring that their particular student(s) is receiving the necessary human interaction and socialization to successfully complete his/her matriculation at the collegiate site. The mentor will work to help each student communicate needs for support and enrichment program conducive to a Job Corps participant’s learning, recreation, and overall enjoyable engagement.
- Minimum complete of 30 collegiate hours
- Ability to work with assigned student(s) cooperatively and collaboratively
- Ability to collaborate with TJF, JC and collegiate staff, and others related to the project
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate sensitivity to others
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent management skills
- Familiarity with basic computer software programs and ability to type
- Ability to speak and write with excellent English skills
- Valid driving license and safe driving history.
Applicants interested in servicing a mentors in the College Pathways Program must attend the following institutions:
Austin Community College
Hinds Community College – Utica
Please click on the appropriate college below and complete the application to become a College Pathways mentor in Texas or Mississippi. Your application will be sent to the appropriate site coordinator.
For Austin Community College and Huston-Tillotson mentors – Crystal.firstname.lastname@example.org
For Hinds Community College-Utica and Tougaloo College – Charles.email@example.com