The purpose of this program is to increase readiness for college among Job Corps students and create access to a college education.
The Site Coordinator will assist with providing college readiness activities, and facilitating college enrollment and retention strategies.This position will also focus on collegiate preparation training for students that includes a Job Corps-to-college transition strategy, individual assessments and remedial coursework, development of an academic and social plan, college enrollment navigation, and mentoring, internships, and community support.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and four-six years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with TJF, JC and collegiate staff, and others related to the project
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate sensitivity to others
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent management skills
- Familiarity with basic computer software programs and ability to type
- Ability to speak and write with excellent English skills
- Valid driving license and safe driving history.
Description of Duties
- To provide co-leadership for the continuation of the COLLEGE PATHWAYS PROGRAM site at the Gary Job Corps Center in San Marcos, Texas, including the selection of student participants
- To assist center/collegiate staff in embedding the vision, mission & philosophy of COLLEGE PATHWAYS PROGRAM into the daily implementation practices at the site
- To ensure that staff and students understand and comply with all COLLEGE PATHWAYS PROGRAM policies and procedures
- To conduct personal annual performance reflections around successes and areas for improvement with school and collegiate site staff
- To understand and execute site-based emergency safety procedures
- To maintain the professionalism of the project site, equipment, and supplies
- To collect and maintain necessary paperwork and turn-in this paperwork on or before the identified deadline
- To solicit collegiate and community participation and support, for the provision of unmet needs, as well as to serve as approved mentors
- To maintain professional relationships and constant communication with the COLLEGE PATHWAYS PROGRAM administrator, other site coordinators, and all related center/collegiate/TJF staff regarding program activities
- To engage staff, students and mentors in designing a site program schedule that reflects the interests & needs of Job Corps participant and the interests & talents of staff
- To observe, assess, and provide feedback to staff and trainers around the effectiveness of implementation of training information at the site level
- To facilitate conversations and continuous learning opportunities for site staff and mentors to strengthen their understanding and approach to engaging and connecting with Job Corps participant in a collegiate setting
- To assist in the training and professional development of staff skills at the site level
- To schedule and facilitate regular site staff meetings related to JC participant needs and progress
- To attend Site Coordinator meetings and training as scheduled.
- To be flexible and maintain a sense of humor when working with the students and staff
- To perform other duties as assigned.
- Available to work 9:00-6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Eligible to accept fingerprinting and Criminal Record Check
- Willing to work evenings and weekends (on occasion)
- Willing to travel to between JC and collegiate sites training and events
- Possess a valid driver’s license and insurance.
Minimum 4-6 years
This position reports to the COLLEGE PATHWAYS PROGRAM Administrator
This year, the opening is in the San Marcos/Austin, Texas area.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by personnel assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Additional duties and responsibilities, that are not inconsistent with the general nature of the position, may be assigned by the President as needed.
Candidates possessing the required professional experience & background should submit their resume along with references via email to:
The Tom Joyner Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.