The Tom Joyner Foundation (TJF) and Dark and Lovely® are continuing their program designed to provide scholarship funding as well as specialized training for and awarding job-related opportunities and scholarships to select female students who have met the program requirements and are chosen by the TJF and Dark & Lovely® team.
To be eligible to participate as a Young Women with Purpose (YWWP) participant, female students must meet the following criteria:
1. Attend one of the 2016 School of the Month partner institutions (click here for the list). NCCU is no longer a 2016 partner.
2. Currently enrolled as a full-time student at the junior level status
3. A United States citizen
4. Minimum grade point average of 2.50 (on a 4.00 grade scale)
5. Applicants must not graduate before May 2018
6. Applicants must have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular, and other activities.
Application Deadline: noon (Central Time) September 28th, 2016.
YWWP project participants will be selected and introduced to each other by October 21, 2016. Communications between the selected participants will begin in preparation for the project activities.
Click here to complete the Application for Participation in the Young Women with Purpose Project.
November 1-30, 2016, the female students selected will be required to work together in completing the following activities.
A. Weekly Dark and Lovely® Beauty Clinic Series on “Celebrating Beauty with Confidence and Flair” to promote self esteem and provide job and independent living skills. These sessions may be viewed electronically or on-campus.
B. Weekly Dark and Lovely® electronic job shadowing/mentoring experiences with a designated Softsheen-Carson professional serving as a mentor.
C. Marketing campaign developed by the YWWP group. This will require the participants to work as a team to complete the campaign. YWWP participants work with their team of campus volunteers to emphasize the YWWP concept, including:
i. Creation of a web and social media presence
ii. Recruitment of volunteers to work on each campus to assist YWWP leader*
iii. Registration of students on the Dark & Lovely® website (see below)
D. Joint/Simultaneous Community Service STEAM Projects (designed with the cooperation and approval of campus sponsor staff and in conjunction with local elementary school) concentrating on S(cience) T(echnology) E(ngineering) A(rts) and M(ath) activities to demonstrate:
*SPECIAL NOTE: Each campus student volunteer who works with the YWWP participants (male or female) will receive products and/or coupons to obtain specialized products for their personal use.
The Top Five YWWP
On December 10, 2016, YWWP participants will be notified who has been designated as part of the top five.
Each of the five will receive
1. A scholarship valued at $2,000 for the 2017-2018 school year
2. An all-expenses paid weekend learning experience in New York City, New York with some of the top executives at L’Oreal Corporation
3. An opportunity to compete for a summer 2017 internship with L’Oreal
HOW TO GET STARTED
STEP 1 – Click here to register to receive weekly tips and other information from Dark and Lovely®.
STEP 2 – Click here to complete the Application for Participation in the Young Women with Purpose Project.