Edward Waters College began as an institution founded by blacks, for blacks. In 1865, following the Civil War, the Reverend Charles H. Pearce, a presiding elder of the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, was sent to Florida by Bishop Daniel Alexander Payne. Observing the fast-paced social and political changes of the Reconstruction era, Rev. Pearce immediately recognized the need for an education ministry, as no provision had yet been made for the public education of Florida’s newly emancipated blacks. Assisted by the Reverend William G. Steward, the first AME pastor in the state, Pearce began to raise funds to build a school. This school, established in 1866, was to eventually evolve into Edward Waters College.
Florida Memorial’s history and traditions reach back to 1879. Our legacy of determination and accomplishment has made us the only historically black university in southern Florida. We are a culturally diverse institution, transforming lives and helping to create a future for people from many races, ethnicities, countries, religions, and socio-economic backgrounds. Members of the Board of Trustees, administration, faculty, staff, students, and alumni take every opportunity possible to express pride in the institution.
To donate to either of our March School’s of the month please complete the form below