Here are some frequently asked questions – and answers – about the Tom Joyner Foundation:
What is the Tom Joyner Foundation?
The Tom Joyner Foundation (TJF) is a 501 ( C) (3) organization founded in 1998 as the brain child of nationally syndicated radio personality, Tom Joyner. Our mission of supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) with scholarship, endowment, and capacity building enhancements has remained the same since our inception. The Foundation has provided the support to every HBCU in its 15 year history to help sustain, and preserve the legacies of these valuable institutions.
What is the Foundation’s Mission?
Our mission is to provide programming initiatives and partnerships in support of historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) and its communities.
What is the vision of the Foundation for 2020 and beyond?
It is the vision of the Tom Joyner Foundation to provide programming that affords diverse academic opportunities to students wanting and/or attending HBCUís regardless of social or economic status and means. Our vision for HBCUs for 2020 and beyond is to continue to invest in America’s future through education.
What programs are operated by the Foundation?
- The School of the Month program is the signature program of the Foundation. Annually, the Foundation selects 11 Historically Black Colleges and Universities with which to partner. We normally do not have a school of the month for the month of December. Instead, we encourage donors to support any HBCU of their choice. During the month of their partnership, we raise funds in support of student scholarships and other initiatives to help sustain the HBCU.
- The Hercules Scholars, named in honor of Tom’s father, Hercules Joyner. This scholarship embodies and celebrates successful male students attending HBCUs. Students selected for this scholarship must exhibit academic excellence, leadership skills and community services. They must be a male, enrolled as a full time student and have a grade point average of 3.5 or higher. All students are selected to be Hercules Scholars through the Tom Joyner Foundation School of the Month program. The students are also announced on the Tom Joyner Morning Show every Thursday.
- The Tom Joyner Foundationís Veterans Education Program is a comprehensive initiative that provides support services for Americaís veterans. In partnerships with specific Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) around the country, the program is designed to help veterans succeed academically, and make a comfortable transition back to their homes, their families and communities.
What impact has the Foundation had on America’s HBCUs?
The Foundation has provided scholarships to more than 29,000 students, and, in excess of $65 million has been raised to support our HBCUs since 1998.
How many HBCUs are served by the TJ Foundation?
All 105 HBCUs are served by the TJF throughout the United States.
How are the funds raised allocated?
One hundred percent (100%) of the funds are raised for and funneled to specific institutions, unless otherwise designated by the donor. Each donor chooses which of the 105 schools will be the recipient of their gift.
What are the requirements of TJF scholarship(s)?
Students selected for scholarship must exhibit academic excellence, leadership skills and community services. They must be a male, enrolled as a full time student and have a grade point average of 3.5 or higher.The student must be in good academic standing and demonstrate some kind of financial need. Additional scholarships established by funding from other sources have requirements established in collaboration with the donor(s) and may vary.
Can graduate students at HBCUs receive a TJF scholarship?
Yes, as long as they meet the requirements for the selected scholarship as defined by the Foundation or the donor.
How is the Foundation sustained?
The Foundation receives donations for HBCUs from individuals, civic organizations, small businesses, and major corporations. Each year our largest fundraiser is the Tom Joyner Foundation Fantastic Voyage cruise.
What collaborations has the Foundation undertaken?
Major corporations such as Ford, Allstate, and Denny’s has partnered with us over the years. In addition, smaller businesses and organizations have joined forces to show their support for our HBCU communities.
Why should I give to the TJF and not directly to the University?
The choice is yours. Funds given to the Foundation are guaranteed to be allocated as requested. And, as a non-profit organization, we are eligible to receive other funding from additional entities. These additional funds can be used in ways to help these institutions become academically competitive. Records of your funds can be leveraged as matching funds when applying to these outside entities.
How can I give to TJF?
You can make a donation to the Tom Joyner Foundation by clicking here.
How can I become involved if I don’t have funds to donate?
You can join our efforts. Become an A Team Member. Lead an Awesome Anniversary Team.
Can I connect with the Foundation on social media?
- Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/tomjoynerfoundation,
- Twitter- https://twitter.com/TomJoynerFound,
- Instagram- http://instagram.com/_tjfoundation
- Pinterest- http://pinterest.com/tjfoundation/
- Tumblr- http://tjfoundation.tumblr.com
- Foursquare- https://foursquare.com/tomjoynerfound
- YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/TJFoundation
- LinkedIn- http://www.linkedin.com/company/tom-joyner-foundation-dallas-texas.
You can also stay connected with our efforts by our website: www.tomjoynerfoundation.org and listening to the Tom Joyner Morning Show.